There’s a very good reason that a computer’s central communications backbone connectivity point is called a motherboard: Mothers are considered the heart of every family, which is why we are celebrating them – and the heart of every computer – this month.
The motherboard is the point through which all of a computer’s components and external peripherals connect so when something goes wrong, it’s essential that the problem is diagnosed and remedied quickly. The problem is that figuring out the reasons why a motherboard is failing can be difficult to diagnose because you have to rule out every piece of hardware connected to it as the cause of whatever problem you are experiencing.
Symptoms of a failed motherboard include:
- Motherboard doesn’t Power on Self-Test
- Leaking or bulging capacitors
- Your computer doesn’t recognize flash drives or your monitor shows unusual lines
- Slow boot up
- Burning smell or burn marks on the motherboard
- Peripherals stop and start working – or motherboard doesn’t recognize plugged in peripherals
If you are skilled in trouble shooting computer problems, here are a few areas to check out:
- Be certain that your power supply isn’t failing by making sure its voltages are operating in line with their rated output.
- Take a look at the hard drive operation if your files take a long time to transfer, if it takes a long time to boot and if hearing noises while booting, your problem/problems may be related to your hard drive.
- Check that the video function is operating properly. If not, your video card might be the source of the issue.
- Run a diagnostic tool, such as Memtest86 or Memtest86+ to check that memory is not failing.
- Finally, it’s possible (although rare) that your processor (CPU) could be the source of your system’s issues. This can be checked by downloading and running the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (if you have an Intel Processor).
If you have tried these steps, or are unsure about how to go about them to diagnose any potential motherboard issues, it’s likely time to call a professional.
Geeks on Site Can Help
Geeks on Site is ready to diagnose any motherboard issues 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We’re a team of computer technician professionals who are able to connect to your computer, find the issue and fix it for you.
All you need to do is call us at 1-866-865-6077 and tell us your computer problem. Our technicians will guide you through a series of steps that will allow our technician to access your desktop with our mouse and keyboard. This Internet technology allows interacting with your computer as if we were sitting right in front of it! You don’t need to be present while we work. Once we’re connected, you’re free to go about your day or you can watch the technician work on your system and ask him questions via chat.
FFTU (flat fee tune up)
A FFTU costs $149 and allows us to work on your computer remotely, via the Internet, for as long as we need to, to fix your computer problem. A FFTU includes:
- Adware/Spyware clean up
- Software updates
- Virus protection verification
- Temporary files cleanup
- Hard drive defragmentation
- Startup optimization
- Virus scan and removal
Geeks for Life Subscription
If you liked our FFTU service and would like to have us service your computer at any time in the future, you can enroll in our Geeks for Life subscription service. For only $24.95 a month, you can request a FFTU for your enrolled computer at any time during a 30-day period; you can cancel at any time. Our subscription service includes, but is not limited to:
- Unlimited tune ups
- Virus protection
- Virus removal
- Spam protection
- Startup problems
- Blue screens
- Software issues
On site Visits
We also dispatch our experienced crews to various parts of the country. With one quick phone call, on site computer support will have someone at your home or place of business within 24 hours and provide numerous resources to keep your system safe. Call us to see if your site is within the radius of one of our technician’s service areas. By inputting your zip code into our system, we are able to locate our technicians nearest to you.
For an onsite visit, you have two options for payment. Our Standard Hourly Rate of $99/hour or our discounted hourly rate of $74/hour if you purchase a 4 Hour Block.
Give us a call right now, we’re here 24/7.